Kathleen Loucks is admitted to practice in Minnesota state and federal courts and Wisconsin state court.
In her career, Kathleen has championed individuals and businesses in state and federal courts throughout the region, including general contractors in construction defect cases, individuals in insurance coverage disputes, and plaintiffs and defendants in general litigation matters. She also provides general risk management and legal counsel to individuals and corporations.
“I have significant experience on both the defense and plaintiff side of simple and complex litigation all the way through jury verdict. My clients have learned to appreciate this about my advocacy,” says Kathleen. “This insight enables me to make wise choices about when to be collaborative with opposing counsel, and when to be a strong advocate for my clients. My clients want more than a one-size-fits-all approach to their case – they deserve a seasoned and wisdom-driven advocate with a full spectrum of tools, who will talk with them candidly and straightforwardly about their options, and who will choose the best tools available to serve their interests. That’s how I practice and that’s what I’m committed to delivering to every client I have the privilege of serving.”
She started her career in the courtroom, cutting her teeth in criminal court as a prosecutor. Before joining Lommen Abdo in 2014, Kathleen spent seven years at Hellmuth & Johnson, building a solid reputation as a skilled and tough, yet fair-minded, legal advocate and negotiator, and an attorney with character and integrity. Prior to that, Kathleen practiced with Gislason & Hunter, representing doctors, nurses and hospitals in medical malpractice actions in state, federal and appellate courts; representing doctors and nurses in state board licensure actions; representing insurance companies in coverage disputes and declaratory judgment actions in state, federal and appellate courts; representing general contractors and subcontractors in construction defect litigation; and representing plaintiffs and defendants in general litigation matters. Her litigation experience includes jury and court trials, as well as arbitrations and mediations. Kathleen and her co-counsel, Edward Milstein, successfully obtained a $1 million verdict for the plaintiff in a 2015 organ transplant case.
- Kathleen Loucks provided excellent legal counsel to our association in a complex construction defects lawsuit. Kathleen is a superb communicator who provides sound counsel that is clear, comprehensive and understandable to clients. She is an experienced, effective, straightforward, pragmatic and responsive attorney whom I recommend without reservation.
Larry B., Golden Valley
- I have had the pleasure of working with Kathleen on several occasions and would highly recommend her as legal counsel to anyone. While working with Kathleen, I was impressed by her depth of knowledge, prompt follow-up, ability to quickly resolve matters, the ability to clearly articulate matters so that those without a legal background understand and, moreover, her compassion for what she does as a legal professional. Throughout my career I have worked with many lawyers and Kathleen has proven to be one of the finest.
Deborah H., Property Manager and CEO
- Kathleen defended our company on a products defect case. We were very pleased with her defense of the case including her diligent and thorough investigation of the facts, knowledge of the law, and effective negotiation strategy. Kathleen was very prompt in her communications to us and made the matter a priority.
General Counsel at a Wisconsin manufacturing company
Recent notable results:
- Shierts v. University of Minnesota Physicians et al. – medical malpractice wrongful death verdict $1,200,000
- Jane and John Doe v. Minnesota Clinic – medical malpractice wrongful death settlement $687,500
- Campbell v. Falcon Ridge, et al. – settlement of catastrophic injury claim $750,000
- Wildman v. Coyers – settlement of catastrophic injury claim $225,000
- Vaccine settlements:
- Shoulder Injury (SIRVA) following flu shot $ 60,254
- Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) following tetanus shot $450,000
- Shoulder Injury (SIRVA) following flu shot $75,000
Kathleen has been listed as a Minnesota Rising Star by Minnesota Super Lawyers from 2006 to 2008 and in 2011. She received a Client Satisfaction 10 Best Female Attorneys Award by the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys in 2016 and 2017.
University of Minnesota, B.A., 1995
William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., 1999
U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 2001
U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 2016
Vaccine Petitioners Bar Association
Court of Federal Claims Bar Association
Hennepin County Bench & Bar Committee
Hennepin County Bar Association
Minnesota State Bar Association
Innocence Project of Minnesota, Advisory Board, 2010 to 2016